A - Z Blogging Challenge - Vitamins and Vicky

Welcome back to A - Z Blogging Challenge!

We're at V, and we're talking about vitamins, OK?





My sweet grandfather who passed away ten years ago kept reminding me to take my vitamins. They're important, he said, especially for people who have so much on their plate like you do, here, have some ascorbic acid powder!

Even though I thought he was exaggerating, I always accepted his gifts and slurped or swallowed them. Couldn't hurt, right? Like everybody else I certainly didn't get my five a day.

Other than that I occasionally drank a multi-vitamin juice and never cared too much about A, B or C - in vitamins, that is.

Here's a chart I found on General Knowledge and Inspiration


Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluble; B and C water soluble - what does that mean? 

Water soluble vitamins dissolve in water and are excreted through the kidneys should you have excess amounts in your body.

Fat soluble vitamins are absorbed in the lymph, transported in the blood and stored in the liver and fatty tissue. It is difficult for your body to get rid of excess fat soluble vitamins, so toxic levels may accumulate. (Not sure how much it takes to be at risk.)

Read more about vitamin absorption here. A takeaway worth knowing is to chase your multivitamin juice with some raw almonds to make sure all those precious vitamins can actually do their job.

It's also important to know that not every vitamin comes from food alone. 

If you're a Mom and had your baby in fall or winter, your paediatrician may have given you vitamin D drops for your newborn. Vitamin D is usually synthesised in the skin with the help of natural ultraviolet wavelength of sunlight. Now around here, we usually don't get tons of sunshine in November, do we?

Today's veggies don't contain the same amount of nutrients than decades ago. Soils of commercial farmers are being depleted by pesticides and fertilizers. 

I imagine you may compare it to Easter eggs dying. Your first batch turns out vibrant and intense. The more times you soak your eggs in the dye, the more faded they come out. The ones on the left are the ones that were dyed after the ones on the right. The difference is faint but noticeable. Now imagine how my hundredth batch would have turned out!




So if this is the case for our vegetables, I feel good about adding some Juice Plus to my diet. 

To cut the long story short: take your vitamins and enjoy life!

Before you leave I'd like you to meet Vicky, my wonderful fitness instructor I kept mentioning during this month. She looks after me well, inspires me and pushes me, and I know I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for her!



What's with that sneaker she's holding, you ask? 



She had it customized and labeled on Nike ID! How cool is that?

So how about you? Do you think your vitamin intake is OK? Are you taking something on top of your usual diet? How would you configure your own sneaker?

Check out what my fellow alphabet bloggers came up with today and check back tomorrow for W which may or may not be for Wine! 

PS: I am behind on visiting, commenting and answering comments. Just got some upsetting news. A 21 year old man from our village died in a tragic accident in the mountains. He was one of Colin's leaders from the boys scouts-like group he recently joined. A bright, caring and nature loving guy. Please keep that boy's family in your prayers. No parents should have to bury their child. 

Comments

  1. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that.
    And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Therefore
    let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.